2007/08/04

Reasons for getting started

I tend to wander around on the net, stopping on different forums and lists sometimes to meet new people. I like to keep an eye on autistic culture developing in different countries, and I've ended up writing course materials about it, among other things. I feel I should share some of the knowledge I've gained with the internet communities. Since I tend to be very busy, with my work and children, I will just start by putting bits and pieces in this blog, for anyone to find... maybe I will get comments that will guide me further.

This is also an attempt to look outward, from our somewhat isolated Finnish autistic community. I am heavily involved in developing new things here, and sometimes I develop a minor existential crisis and feel a need to look for influences and opinions elsewhere. For those who don't know, Finland is a country in Europe, between Sweden and Russia, with its own language and a population of about 5 million.

3 comments:

David N. Andrews M. Ed., C. P. S. E. said...

Terveisiä Heta....

and welcome to the blogosphere!

HP said...

Thank you David. I feel like I'm re-surfacing, like a monster from the deep, in cyberspace. I haven't had time to talk to anyone except the Finnish as-palsta... and while I've been away, everything has changed! There are blogs all over the place! So much discussion is public now, people showing their names and identities. I think this is very positive.

Anonymous said...

Big things come from small things. I hope to see this grow. I hope this helps to get people talking. I think you are doing very good things in the world, Heta, are a mover and a shaker. You are bringing about positive change and I am honored and proud to sometimes be a part of that in a very small way.

As for myself, I enjoy talking on the internet, but I like to do it anonymously. I am able to express my opinion more clearly that way and I think that identification gives certain factions the opportunity for personal attack. That I just don't get. Because slander and personal attack does nothing to promote the issues. So I am happy to see that the option is here to maintain your anonymity and express your opinion.

I think the problems that autistic people have to contend with in their lives are political, "a status quo which is afraid of and suppresses difference". As you can see, the last sentence is "fighting words" and often leads to argument and insult. I think it is important to say these things but I tire of the argument and insult. So I enter into this debate again cautiously.

Best of luck.

Paul